View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #14
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I have a 9 year old Yorkie, that I just got 6 weeks ago. He was housebroken when I got him and only had 1 accident in the house the day after I brought him home, which is not bad at all. Then a couple weeks later I left him with my teenage daughter and he went to the door to be let out, but she was busy putting her make up on in the bathroom and didn't notice so he pooped on the floor right near the front door. Not a big deal really as it is vinyl there and would have been easy to clean up if she hadn't then stepped in it and tracked it all over the carpet in 3 rooms plus into the bathroom. I come home a little bit later to what I now refer to as "The big poop episode." Needless to say, I cleaned it up and she watches the dog better now. LOL

Back onto the puppy though. Have faith. Yorkies are difficult to potty train, as I am about to find out when our new puppy arrives later this spring. However, my Teek sleeps in our bed. I take him out about 10pm or so as I am preparing to go to bed and he sleeps curled up with me. My husband gets up at 6am and Teek will sometimes lift his head and look at my husband as if to say "are you insane?" and flop it back down against my leg. During the week when I get up at 7 to get kids to school he will usually get up when I start to, but sometimes I have to ask him if he is going to get up with me or stay in bed, at which point he reluctantly gets up and stretches and lets me pick him up to take him upstairs. However, on the weekends he will not wake me unless I sleep past 9:30. At which point he will pester me to wake up and take him outside. It will get better.

Teek is the most amazing dog I have had and we just adore each other. The fact that he likes to sleep as much as me is wonderful!

Luckily the new puppy is actually my daughter's dog so hopefully she will be getting up with the puppy if it wakes early. I am hoping to pee pad train him so that at night he will use the pee pad if he needs to go and then during the day I will be home all day with the puppy, my Yorkie and our 80 lb English Setter so house training during the day should go well, I hope. I take the dogs out regularly. Teek only needs to go out morning, night and then once or twice between, usually twice because that is what the big dog likes to do and I can walk them together.

Good luck and hang in there. As he gets older he might not tear up the pee pads as much too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!