Thread: Am I a wimp?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
karen24
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Am I a wimp?

Well, we are reconsidering the whole outdoor potty training plan. We have had frigid (like -15) temps here and we just couldn't send our little guy out to potty, even to the attached garage, it was too cold. So we set a clean potty box just inside the door. Jack was able to go in and out to use the potty pad at his leisure. Well, he did! And he did sooo well that after a few days, with no accidents anywhere inside, my husband and I are looking at each other and saying, this is too easy. We were both so serious about the whole potty outside only plan, but...

I talked to our vet yesterday and he said he wasn't even sending his 11lbs. yorkie out to potty in these frigid temps. He also advised that at 16 weeks old, Jack will probably double his current weight at adulthood. So he's 2.2lbs now, so he is anticipated to be 4.4lbs. I thought he would be closer to 6lbs as full grown.

Well, given all, we are wondering if we should just find a good spot for his little potty box and call it good? It really hasn't been an issue with odor or anything, I change the pad once or twice a day and pick up and flush his tootie rolls. So easy, so much easier than chasing this little guy around, running him in and out. And cleaning up his accidents, he has had his good days and bad days regarding accidents, well based on my ability to give him undivided attention. But now, with the potty pad inside, it seems that he is already pretty well trained. I have been praising and rewarding, and I will certainly continue that, but he hasn't had an accident since he's had constant access to the indoor pad.

Am I a wimp or is the indoor potty pad just the most practical situation for such a small dog?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!