View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGemma View Post
I am confused- I hear both that breeding to be super small means more health problems but also that it is desireable and doesn't have to mean less healthy? Is it that randomly smaller yorkies are not necessarily more unhealthy but the practices of breeding specifically to achieve tiny stature leads to unhealthy dpgs being bred? I will always love my friend Oliver, the tiny chihuahua. But I worry about him so! Moxie practically dwarfs him at 7lbs and I realized how wee she was at the dog park surrounded by "small" 15-20lb "small" dogs like frenchies, bostons, and cocker spaniels. I really don't see her as tiny because there are many yorkies and chihuahuas half her size, and she is long so never the xxs and rarely the xs size and has a BIG personality and is fearless. But seeing her next to other breeds, well, her bark is greater than her bite!
In order to get tiny yorkies on purpose tiny yorkies have to be bred. Breeding a female under five pounds is unethical and dangerous because it is much more likely the mother will have complications.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!