View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
broodizt
YT 500 Club Member

I cannot thank you enough for this information. When it comes to the liver and bronchitis I am clueless. I have plenty of experience with AAI,Xylitol, pneumonia, and GME, but not the liver or bronchitis, so you have been so very very helpful. I just cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post this information. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Love,

Shellie, Cassie and Milo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobstersmom View Post
Hepatitis In Dogs And Cats

This is a pretty basic link, just to give you some beginner info. Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. It can be caused by many things, including medications, toxins, something that might have been in your dog's food, a cleaning product etc etc etc. There is also an "infectious hepatitis" which is transmitted animal to animal, but I doubt that's the one your dog has.

My yorkie had chronic hepatitis for 14 years, caused by a medication he took for a chronic fungal infection. It waxed and waned, sometimes was more active than other times. We managed his hepatitis with a drastic diet change, supplements, occasionally antibiotics. In his later years we also added ursodial. In spite of his liver disease, he did not look or act sick and led a good quality of life as long as I was careful about his diet and making sure he got the appropriate meds and supplements.

As far as the bronchitis, I suppose it could even be airborn -germs in the air. Could have started with pollens or some type of allergic reaction. How do humans get bronchitis, colds, viruses? This is just the season. Many dogs get bronchitis. It usually sounds much worse than it is, and with appropriate care, they usually recover fine. As far as the steroids, I am not a fan of them either but sometimes they are needed. My son has asthma. I always hated giving him prednisone, but once that inflammation gets going, sometimes its the only way to get things under control.

My advice would be to watch your dog carefully for any signs that he's getting worse, keep up with the meds your vet prescribed, talk to your vet about a diet change possibly. Try standing in the bathroom with the hot shower running and let your pup breathe in the steam as it sometimes helps the wheezing and coughing a bit. If you feel that your pup is getting worse or having difficulty breathing, take him back to the vet or ER. The bronchitis just needs to run it's course and you're doing what needs to be done by letting him get plenty of rest and making sure he gets his meds. With the liver, it is not a short fix. But the denamarin works amazingly well, and a diet change will help too. Your vet will likely want to repeat the labs and possibly ultrasound or exrays in thirty days or so to see how he is doing.

Hope this helps.

Diana
broodizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!