View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
broodizt
YT 500 Club Member

[QUOTE=Scoobstersmom;4531537]Not that its much consolation when your dog is going through so much, but an enlarged liver is preferable to a small liver. Many dogs get infections in their liver, commonly called hepatitis. Antibiotics generally work well, and you may want to talk to your vet about changing to a liver friendly diet. The liver is one of the few organs that can heal and regenerate over time.

I had a poodle with chronic bronchitis. One thing that really helped the coughing was to turn the shower on full blast, full hot water, and then stand in the bathroom with her and let her breathe in the steam. Bronchitis can take weeks to improve, just as with humans. If you hear any wheezing, I would go back to the vet. They may want to prescribe a steroid or an inhaler to help with the wheezing. (And yes, dogs can and do use inhalers!)

I hope your pup improves soon. Its very scary, but your pup is young and that is on his side. Sending good thoughts.

Thanks so much for your response. I was envisioning something much more scary, so I am feeling a little less panicky. Maybe I'll wait a bit then and see if things get any better. I do not want to use steroids if at all humanly (or doggily :-)) possible, so I would go to my holistic vet who hopefully would be able to find another viable alternative. But thanks so much for your post, it has really relieved my mind and now maybe I'm thinking this is not an emergency and I can wait to go to the doctor again. One thing though, how can they possibly get hepatitis? Or bronchitis for that matter. He has the piddle place in the house, so he only does indoor potty. I am disable and cannot get out much, so he is indoors mostly in a very clean environment. The only routine outside thing is going to the groomer where he stays in his own personal crate not near other doggies. Where could these things come from?
broodizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!