View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Salfies13
Yorkie Talker

Default HELP WITH A BIG MOVE! Pretty Please!

WELL, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could offer some advice for me. There's a couple questions here, so I'll try to keep them short.

I've made the decision to move in with my boyfriend this August. He's never had an indoor dog (he's a country boy that believes the dog should be outside – which is NOT happening!). My morkie (Teddie Ruxpin Bear) is 7 years old, and he’s quite a monster…but a cute one! I haven’t been the best with his potty training and he barks a lot (he’s protective). I told the boyfriend that Teddie and I are a 2 for 1 deal. I LOVE that dog more than anything in the world! He’s willing to compromise, but I still worry. I want everything to work out for myself, Teddie, and the boyfriend.

Allergy Question: My boyfriend has allergies/breathing problems. Fortunately, he’s been ok with Teddie every time he is around him. We haven’t done an overnight sleepover with my dog yet. The one time we were going to do that, he found a flea and freaked out. Anyways, I’ve calmed him down since then, but I’m worried. He doesn’t shed at all, but this winter has been pretty harsh. He’s had a lot of dry skin. I asked the boyfriend if there was a problem, if he would be willing to get allergy shots at the doctor and he said yes, but didn’t believe they would work. Has anyone ever experienced having their dog around someone with allergies? Are there any remedies?

Doggie Door Question: My boyfriend lives about 20 minutes away from the town I work in. Currently, I live 2 minutes from my workplace, so I go home every day at lunchtime to take Teddie out/walk him. When I move in with my boyfriend, I won’t be able to do that. Teddie is not the best potty trained dog in the world. He will pee outside, but he poops inside the house on a pee pad. Sometimes he will pee in the house, but that’s also on a pee pad. He decided that we are going to build a doggie door in his basement that goes through the window (it’s the only alternative with the way his house is setup). Teddie has never used one before, but loves being outside running around. Has anyone ever trained an older dog to use a doggie door? Am I setting myself up for failure here?

Sleeping in Bed Question: My morkie sleeps in bed with me every night, ever since he was a puppy. It’s a comfort thing for me, as well as him. I told my boyfriend that I don’t think I could break him of it. He’s never been crate trained (and I kick myself for it all the time). Of course, I worry about my boyfriend’s allergies, but I don’t see Teddie being “cool” with sleeping somewhere else. Has anyone ever broken the habit of “sleeping in bed” with their dog? Especially an adult dog?

Salfies13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!