View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
This would make me crazy!! I can not stand to see anything running around, "complaining about" being hungry, or begging for food!! I free feed kibble....I always keep a bowl on the kitchen floor.....during the day, I will see one or the other, run in and grab a mouthful of kibble, usually bring it to my feet where I am sitting, and eat that mouthful.....then run off to engage in more play or mischievousness! I just wonder what he would do if he had a bowl down with free access to it all day...maybe he would (AFTER he got over the idea he had died and gone to heaven and hit the food jackpot!!!!) maybe he would "graze" a little all day long, which would stave off his hunger, and he would eventually end up even eating less than he does now! Maybe the brand of kibble....if you use kibble....has a "lite" or calorie control kibble you could put out....
Yes Judy it's driving me crazy also. I can't stand to have him so hungry and crying for food. I know if I set his 2/3 cup out for his morning feeding he would eat the entire bowl, could even throw up not being use to such a large quantity at one time. Then what happens with his 5PM feeding, more dry kibble? His weight is perfect for his size, more dry kibble will add weight. I am thinking hard and heavy on your suggestion, maybe increase his 7AM feeding wait an hour then give him the rest, just concerned he will throw up if I give him all at once. It breaks my heart to hear him crying and begging for more food. When I adopted him he weighed 9 1/2 lbs, his back bone was protruding and so were his ribs, he was way to skinny, not that prev. owner was starving him, I believe they were as I am, following dog food label, but HAD to be giving less then 1/3 cup as he gets now. I got him up to 12.6 Lbs and his body looks perfect, vet also satisfied with his weight. Thank you for your advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
Is he overweight? The label on your food is just a guideline. If he is not overweight he may need more than what you are giving him. Metabolism can very from dog to dog.

Gracie will not settle down and go to sleep if she thinks she is hungry. If she is hungry she gets fed. Sometimes she may gain a little weight in the winter because we cannot walk as much in bad weather but she will lose it as soon as the weather breaks. I also play indoor fetch with her to help deal with her activity level.

Unless he has a serious weight problem I would not worry about feeding him more healthy food.
No he's not over weight, his weight for his size is perfect. I am going to TRY yorkiemom1 method of free feeding knowing he'll eat the entire bowl once it hits the floor lol, but I'll continue with the green beans also. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
How is his actual body condition/weight? I'll attach a picture below for you, to evaluate this.

If there is true excessive hunger, you do have to wonder about thyroid, diabetes, or Cushings. So, I'd read up on those 3 things for any add'l symptoms that may be there.
Ann this is perfect, just the information I was hoping to get.I have to read up on the thyroid, diabetes, and Cushings and see what symptoms to look for. As for the picture of body condition, Cody is # 5, his 12.6 lbs is perfect for his size. Thank you very much for the 3 illnesses to be aware of, this is what I was hoping to get, you're the best.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!