Thread: Vetmedin
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Maybird84
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Vetmedin

Does anyone here have any experience with giving their yorkie Vetmedin for CHF?

Oliver is 8 years old, 6.5 pounds and randomly in mid-December he got very lethargic and his breathing was labored. We rushed him to the vet where he was given Lasix intravenously and his breathing returned to normal.

He had xrays and and his heart seemed slightly enlarged and he was also diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur. However, the vet thought it would be best to treat for bronchial/penomia issues first. I left town for 3 weeks and my mom reported he was doing just ok.

When I got back the vet put him on Lasix and his breathing was ok but still wasn't 100%. She recommended an echocardiogram and we scheduled it for mid January.

The cardiologist gave him the all clear and said he thought it was an airway disease. The Lasix was stopped and he was instead put on several medications for bronchial issues including theophylline. However after about 3 days his labored breathing returned and he was rushed to the vet where they gave him a shot of Lasix and he was back to normal.

The vet called the cardiologist and said she strongly felt it was his heart as he only responded to Lasix and did not have any crackling or fluid build up in his lungs. The cardiologist said it could have been a ripped cordinea tinea which is sometimes hard to find on an echocardiogram and suggested she prescribe him Vetmedin.

I started the Vetmedin on a Friday night and instantly his breathing was great! It was the best I had seen him breath for a long time, however he became extremely lethargic and lost his appetite completely.

That Sunday night he threw up all night and we rushed him to the vet Monday morning.

His regular vet wasn't in so the one filling in recommended stopping the Vetmedin, putting him on an antibiotic and going back on the theophylline. This was going well his breathing seemed to be fine. He went back on on Thursday to see his regular vet and she noticed his electrolytes were low so gave him some fluids and prescribed Benazepril and suggested to stop the theophylline and go back on the Lasix when his breathing became labored.

Friday night I noticed the beginning signs of his labored breathing (he had now been a day 1/2 without theophylline or lasix) and I noticed his breathing becoming labored so I gave him his prescribed dose of Benazepril and Lasix. Saturday his breathing still did not seem right but not too alarming and gave him the same medication.

Today his breathing is very obviously labored but not the worst I have seen it. He is taking about 30 BPM when heavily sleeping and I can see his breathing up and down.

My question to you all (if you've made it this far!!!) is do you think I should suggest to my vet that we give the Vetmedin another go just at a much lower dose? So far it is the only thing that has his breathing normal but it was reallly scary to see him vomit so much after being on it for 2 1/2 days.

I know dogs who do have heart issues don't live nearly as long on Benazepril as they do on Vetmedin but I really just want him to have a quality of life.

Then again there is also that issue that it may not be his heart at all....

Any advice or experience is very welcomed.
Maybird84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!