View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Foot shy - no I don't think so. But definitely she shies away with a fast movement forward to her.

I agree the title was unclear - but I suppose my points were; in a multi person household you don't always get to know/see how other members are treating/disciplining your dog(s), and of course the potential problems that could ensue.

The other point is I have no idea if this was the first and only time my sis did this. Of course I asked her, but she doesn't always tell the whole truth - sometimes she will tell you what she thinks that you want to hear.

Dara is already shying away from quick movements - like if you get up from a chair quickly and move at fast pace towards her.
Bless your heart - sounds like you have a lot to deal with & I'm sure your sis presents all the more problem with a young dog. I'm glad you don't have a problem with her going bad or anything! Obviously, if Dara's shying away from quick movements, there have been other episodes that apparently connected or almost did - at least she read your sister's intent and connected that with her own safety. You hate to make a game of kicking out at a dog in order to change fear into fun but it works to help them get over over-reacting to it. As long as you know Dara isn't left alone or near Sis again without supervision, you could try that.

I had a dog that was gesture-shy(not just sudden gestures) when I got her and when you just moved your legs out before getting up from the couch, kicked one of her toys on the floor out of the way or gestured expansively with a hand, if she were nearby, she would run off. We made kicking out and expansive gestures, near hits, into a fun game that got her treats, smiles, praises and party-time fun with fist-pumping, handclapping, etc., and she began to see sudden gestures of all kinds around her as time for excitement and anticipating a treat or party. Eventually, she just ignored them like any dog. haha. I hope you find a way that helps Dara feel confident and trusting again around trustworthy people.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!