View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

My vet does 2-3 views....one from either side, and one with her on her back. If you have an older xray system, where he is looking at a film on a light box, you can take calipers (like from geometry class) and measure a baby's head, then move the calipers to the pelvic ring and see if the measurement of the head, will fit through the pelvic ring. If your vet has the new computerized xray system, they can actually move that mouse all over that puppy, get measurements, then move to the pelvic ring, get the measurement there, the computer program will calculate all the dimensions and you will immediately see if the puppy will fit through the ring. (I was tickled to death with my vet and her new xray system.....I was calculating measurements on everything in that xray!!!)

I would take the xray back to the vet and have him SHOW you, measuring the heads and the pelvic ring ratio....if the babies are "huge", he will have to do measurements to be safe....some can eyeball heads and the pelvic ring and see they will pass thru without problem....those babies can grow quite a bit that last week before they are whelped.....so if they are a tight squeeze NOW, at this early date, they probably are not going to fit in another 7-10 days....

Is there another vet around there? Even an ER vet? You may have to pay an ER vet to read the xray for you, but that is better than getting in a bind in the middle of the night and loosing the pups and the momma.

Go to the ER vet....tell them you are getting prepared to whelp a litter of puppies, and you will be going to that ER for the delivery if it occurs in the middle of the night. Ask them if they will look at the xray so you can start getting transportation arranged to get you there if she runs into problems and you need help. (Maybe a tiny little white lie....but you need someone to read that xray for you!)
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!