View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

My Tibbe is a little different from this study on some things, during training and some other times, too. I've always talked to him, all day long. He hears how much he's loved, how cute he is, how good he is, etc., very often during the day and loves it when I talk to him while I'm doing something such as cooking or working about the house. He tends to step back when you try to pet him most times, especially when anyone but me tries it, but especially during training or if one is standing or sitting over him but really jumps for joy when he gets smiles and lots of verbal praise or talking to in a high, squeaky voice, telling him how wonderful he is. His favorite is a high, happy voice telling him how good and smart he is, how proud I am of him - and he seems to expect the word "love". He's all for that kind of attention, softens his eyes, folds his ears back when he hears good things. So I early on learned that he's not big on petting much of the time but actually seems to prefer verbal communications over a pat - especially one on his head - that's not appreciated at all.

Now he's almost always near or touching me on some point of my body most of the day and night, resting on a foot/feet or touching my thigh/leg during naps, if possible, and sleeping with his bottom up against my cheek on my very pillow nights - so he loves close touch.

He really feeds off verbal praise and celebrating now when he does something right such as comes running when called, potties on command outside or even when we're just alone in a room. When I'm teaching him a new behavior, command or trick, I treat lavishly at first but soon we segue to mostly verbal praise, celebration and a sometimes a little tickle.

During down times, he's more than fine with petting, rubbing & scratching(favorites), cuddling and will even initiate sessions himself but honestly, to see his face and reactions, I think he's been conditioned to prefer my verbal expressions over some of petting, tickling or touching him unless we are down. But if I don't talk to him, praise or tell him I love him pretty often or am quiet for a day, he's soon on the floor standing in front of me just staring as if to say - "What's wrong with you? Talk to me, momma!". Because if I do, he's usually fine then and stops the staring, questioning look and goes about his day.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!