View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
MybunDleOfJoy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I don't think having one heat would affect her personality to such an extent - at least this is my experience with full females. Their personalities as such might change a tad during heat, but my experience has been once heat is over personality returns to normal.

You are right to be concerned. This behaviour is not acceptable, especially to their owner. And she is not resource guarding YOU, well at least in the examples you stated, she has determined She is Over and Above you, and is protecting HER Turf and not you.

Your dog now must earn every single piece of food from you and your hand, and must earn the right to sleep in the bed with you. Thank means hand feeding their meals, and for each piece of kibble they need to do an obedience command or a trick - what-ever.

Look up the program nothing in life is free - NILF. There are lots of you tube videos on it.

I do understand your fear --- it is no fun being bit by a dog that is supposed to love you. The trick here is to be, feel, and act confident, as the pack leader that you are. Don't withdraw your love, but calmly, consistently and confidently you expect her to behave herself and to obey you .. ALWAYS.

Take her out for walks, reward and praise good behaviour. Play with her, love and pet her. But no trips up to the bed, until you can take her food away, walk by her food bowl etc. And for now, if you have her up on the couch and want to try that out, I would have her harness on her and a short lead. If she growls at you, she is immediately removed from the couch in no uncertain terms and very quickly. BAD GIRL. You don't have to shout it - just have disgust in your voice as you say it. She is removed and placed in her Xpen, playpen, or crate, and then you take over your seat again and ignore her for at least 10 minutes.
OmG i never noticed mia had forgotten some of her basics till today. I startedd from scratch wit her from basics to mark my territory and show im the pack leader. I did as you said i only gave her the permission to eat if she did something for me. I went to the pet store and bough her all time fav stix from when she was a puppy and cut them into bits ,the size of an apple seed seriously. She would only get a treat if she did something i say correctly. I noticed she forgot the basic laydown command , i would say laydown and she did every other command like touch or paw besides laydown , towards the end she would not lay down she puck her butt up and and her chest and head laid flat while her butt up it was so funny and cute i felt like huggin her but i controlled myself and i didnt give her nothing till she finally got it right. tonigh she has learn to get off my bed until i say come up. There was a point where she looked at the treat bag and cried cried for treats and i said "STOP! " firmly and calm she stopped for a second and continued the second time i just said stop get down and she immediately got off my bed and stood quiet and 30mins later i said come up and shes now laying right beside very quiet and chill for the past 2 hrs which is amazing . I will continue this process ! Thanks so much
MybunDleOfJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!