View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Georgia in MS
Yorkie Talker

Default Heartworms in 1.5 year old Chorkie

My 12-year-old Jack was stolen from my yard on a 15 minute potty break. We live in a quiet established neighborhood and someone stole him. For 12 years, he has gone out briefly in the morning and then I come out and walk him around some more and then bring him in for me to start to work. I am so heartbroken I can't stand it.

Anyway, now I am looking for another Yorkie. But my finances are such that I cannot afford a Yorkie now. I did find a young chorkie at a shelter that has been treated for heartworms.

This is what they said of the treatment:
He was treated to get rid of the baby heartworms and to start killing the adults. The Heartguard monthly preventative in his case will do double duty of preventing new ones and wearing down the existing ones. This treatment is much easier on the dogs that the full treatment which takes 2 -3 months and requires keeping the dog very calm and still.

The only standard of care I can find is that the dog receives 1 shot (which I think is what the chorkie has gotten) and then 30 days later, a shot, wait 24 hours, then another shot.

The shelter is saying one shot and just use Heartguard to get rid of the rest. Is that new information that I just am not finding on the internet?

I'm very nervous about that approach. I cannot afford financially nor emotionally to go through having a dog with heartworms. I would do the Heartguard regardless, so that's not a problem.

Would you get this little Chorkie under these circumstances?
Georgia in MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!