Thread: Dry milk?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniko View Post
My aunt wants to bake Sophie some cookies and has shown me some recipes and I think I found one that won't be an issue for Sophie's belly.

One of the ingredients is 2 tablespoons of dry milk and I tried looking this up but have given up and figured I would just ask!

Does it mean the instant dry milk or the non-instant dry milk? I cannot for the life of me find anything to tell me which one. I know it will probably be easy to find the answer if I could figure out how to word it on google!

From the searching I have done all I have found is that non-instant is a mix of dairy and soy and instant is just dairy. The non-instant is better in cooking, but I don't really want to give her soy if I can avoid it.
If using dairy milk, I'd recommend lactose-free, since a lot of adult dogs are lactose intolerant. If you can't find it powdered, maybe you could use liquid lactose-free milk and reduce some of the liquid ingredients accordingly? I'm guessing that two tablespoons of dry milk would correspond to about 1/4 cup of liquid milk. Some people also use goat's milk as an alternative. It still contains lactose, but the milk proteins are less likely to cause allergic reactions.

See this article for more details on the danger of giving milk to dogs: Can I Give My Dog Milk?

And here's an article on goat's milk for dogs: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...milk-for-dogs/

Last edited by pstinard; 01-23-2015 at 09:30 AM.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!