View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 AM   #7
Larry92
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMac View Post
Hi Kim,

Our pup went through some anxiety too, a trick we read about and that has REALLY help us is not acknowledging her 10 mins before we leave, or 10 mins after we return. So no eye contact, no talking, no snuggles, no goodbyes, just put her/him in the crate/room and leave. When you return you let her/him out and go about your business for 10 mins or so, and then say hello. It sounded strange but it really does work, the concept is that you shouldn't make a big deal about your leaving or returning.

We also tried doing this for short periods of time while we were home. So we would place her in her crate for 1 min, then 2, then 5, while we work around the house, and then let her out without any fanfare. Teaching her that we will always come back for her.

It's worked for us, and Holly, maybe it's worth a try! Good Luck!

Couldn't agree more with this, this really helped when we first got my youngest border terrier. Bella was SOOOO needy with me after the first week or two of us getting her so I used the ignoring with her and it worked brilliantly. It took her a while to get to grips with it but after a few weeks she was brilliant. She no longer barked when I left the room/house and didn't need to be fussed by someone constantly. She became her own little independent self and still is too this day.

She still loves snuggles and kisses (and is still my baby) but she will happily do things on her own
Larry92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!