Thread: new puppy
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I once had a pack of 3, all 3 years apart, the 2nd puppy I bought home my older 3 y/o, very dog friendly, but, when this little hoping, bouncing ball came in the house, my older one took a sniff, then RAN for the hills, the sofa. Because the puppy was so filled with energy and sharp teeth my 3 y/o kept her distance, the sofa. Once that puppy was able to jump onto the sofa my older one had no choice but to accept her, they got along fine. I always showed the older one more attention, feed her first, she always got her treats first. Now I have 6 y/o and a 3 y/o and bring home another baby, now I have 2 living life on the sofa, again, as soon as #3 puppy was able to jump on sofa, again my two older girls had no choice. But, my older girls loved all animals, I also did not force the new puppy on them. The older ones made friends on their time and their terms, the older ones never snapped or growled at the baby. Give your older one time, extra attention, feed him first, give him any treats first, when he growls or nips correct him with no growling / nipping command. Do not force puppy on him. He will adjust on his own time. Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!