View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
CalMis
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Smile Trachea

Hello friends,
Callie exhibited no symptoms up until her dental procedure last friday (my husband took her). After her dental procedure she was loopy (of course) and then Saturday night she started hacking. Got worse into Sunday. I got home Sunday night and knew instantly she had to see the vet. We went to the ER Vet and he took X-rays of her body to rule out pneumonia and/or fluid in her lungs. Also, Kennel Cough. Everything looked normal except her trachea which narrowed considerably which he predicted may be the cause of her coughing. She also had no fever.
We began the steroids Sunday night, and cough tabs as he couldn't get his hands on Tussegon. I went to my normal vet first thing Monday morning, and my same vet confirmed her trachea got irritated. She confirmed that the steroids should help decrease inflammation. She had Tussegon (I guess it's really hard to get now) and we started that immediately as well. She responded nicely until WED when my normal vet wanted to start weaning her off the steroid. She went right back into the crazy hacking. Now we have her on a VERY low dose of steroid every 12 hours, and Tussegon every 8-12 hours. She takes the Tussegon and steroid with a little ice cream (she's in heaven) so no issues giving her the pills.
Side effects: Steroid makes her urinate frequently and eat EVERYTHING! She is the most finicky eater and she now eats everything. She is going to be a plump little girl when this is all over. I have to travel on Tuesday and a relative is coming to stay with her for the night- I am crazy that I have to leave her.
I know I sound like a over protective Mommy, but I just love her so much. I am sure you can all relate.
Thanks for allowing me to purge and calm my nerves week. My husband was out of town last week and I needed support until I got her coughing under control. I sure hope she continues to progress. Its been a very long 7 days.
CalMis is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!