View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
You can eat zebra? I had no idea! How was it?

I am the queen of eating weird foods. My favorites are offals, tripe, chitterlings/chitlins (also prefer sausages with natural casing, intestinal casing), crab/shrimp/lobster brains, fish eggs, and my fave is uni (sea urchin) so much so I named my dog Uni.

I absolutely love sushi and tried sashimi when I was a preteen. My mom and sis were eating it and I asked them what it was. They told me to try it first and then see if I like it, then they would tell me what it was. I said I liked it and then they told me it was raw fish. After that I wanted to try every weird thing on the menu.

As far as octopus, I first had it as nigiri at a sushi place and I still hate it. It's so tough and hard. Now Mexican or Greek style I am all over that! So tender and yummy.

I used to eat fish eyeballs, but don't anymore. I still eat their brains. You know to gain their knowledge.

I don't not try anything just bc it looks gross or smells different. If it is a delicacy somewhere in the world, I will try it. Millions of people can't be wrong! The only thing I won't try is something that is still alive and kicking, like how Koreans eat live baby octopus.

I have tried blood pudding and Asians have blood cubes similar to blood pudding but much less dense, more like jello or tofu. I don't care for the flavor. I don't mind that it's blood, it's the iron taste I don't care for.

One of my favorite things is the Thousand year old Egg. Or I just call it the black egg. It's a duck egg preserved in tea leaves but some cheaper brands use lye and it gives it a very chemical off putting aroma to it. I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he could not swallow it. I was like "noob!" It's so good with some soy sauce and sesame oil and green onion, or in rice congee. I would like to try a balut egg one day but would like someone who enjoys them to show me how to eat them.

I've tried different types of snails. French kind is just smothered in garlic and butter, but the Viet kind they have many different varieties in coconut curry type sauce.

Just re-tried frog legs again and they are good. They do taste like chicken. My brother even thought it was a chicken wing that had weird bones. LOL

I'll post more if I remember more.

Oh my gosh! How amazing are you with your adventures in food...lol!

I have had octopus, I forgot about that but I guess it's because I thought it wasn't exotic. However, it must be cuz if I told my parents about it they'd freak out..haha! My hubby loves octopus and all manner of seafood which others can't abide! I have also had fish eggs (roe or caviar) and I like it but I have never eaten the brains of any fish as far as I'm aware? I have also never tried tripe and I think that's because my MIL put me off by how she described it..she loves it, btw.

Sushi is amazing! It's one of my fave things to eat but I'm very mistrustful re: the prep of it. Things can go badly wrong if not prepared properly so it is a rare treat for me.

The Thousand Year Old Egg sounds interesting!!

Zebra is delicious. It's very gamey but not overwhelmingly so... it's very hard to explain it exactly. Have you ever had horse meat? I haven't but, if you have, it may be comparable? It may not! Unsure. I'd definitely have it again, though. I liked it far more than I liked 'roo which I found tough and tasteless in comparison to other game but that may also be down to how I cooked it, which is to say, I burned it!

I have eaten quail eggs, which are nice and I love pheasant. These types of things are not readily available in my native OK so I'm not sure how truly exotic they are as they are fairly common in UK markets!

Last edited by SirTeddykins; 01-08-2015 at 12:27 AM.
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!