View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I never updated this thread! So sorry. But now an update, Dara has been insured for one year - no policy rate increase. Trupanion sent me a notice that they have now - dropped the spay and neuter mandatory, and also some of the coverage on optional rider for alternative care is now covered in their basic policy.

So I called them. The gal was very helpful on the phone, as I was asking if given that I have this additional rider should I drop this, as now you are covering alternative treatment choices. She said well there are still 7 alternative therapies that are not covered under the general policy... anyhoo I kept that Rider A.

And we also had a fruitfull discussion on genetic diseases. I was confused because their general policy said something like - 18 months prior to insured date if there were indications of x/y/ or z, then the dog was not covered. I said what the heck here? I bought your policy because you insure against genetic diseases. She was 8wks old and insured by you. She is barely over one year old now. I won't know about HD until I do offa at 2 yrs old - are you telling me that if she does have HD you won't cover her? She said of course we will. This is in place because of those folks who adopt a rescue dog, who you don't know the history of, so if you brought an older dog in for limping to the vet, and aafter testing et al it was determined the dog had HD - that dog would not be covered.

Oh the ins n outs of insurance. I bring this up here, for all those folks who adopt from rescues or re-home situations. It is of concern to me. Has always been actually. You might not be able to get total insurance coverage from an insurer...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!