View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #18
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

In all honesty, I think it is a whole lot of sentimental preference....we used to all get together.....grandma had 12 kids and all but 3 of those kids married and had kids and we all lived within 1 mile of each other in Beaumont Texas.....One of the oldest sons bought up a whole bunch of land in Beaumont when he got out of the service, and eventually, each of the siblings bought lots from my uncle and they built homes on their lots.....so they actually owned an entire square mile block.....all us cousins grew up together, centered around grandma's house.....summers were spent "swimming" in those huge wash tubs, running through water sprinklers, chasing the ice cream man's truck for popsicles, and Sunday after church feasts, enjoyed sitting around the yard like a huge picknic, and we kids took turns cranking the handle on the icream maker.

Today, my cousin who is more like a sister to me, (lives less than a mile and a half away!) is all into healthy eating.....REALLY healthy eating.....no hydrogenated oils, no this, no that.....so, while she wont make the ice cream because it is WAY too fattening for her, to much fats, etc, she does eat a cup when I make it.....I guess we know what all goes in it.....no chemicals, no stuff you cant pronounce......fresh organically grown fruit, etc. Blue Bell is certainly much quicker and easier, but it doesnt "warm your soul and touch your heart"......it just makes you wish your throat was a mile long it is so good! If I did not have the emotional attachment to grandma's cook ice cream recipe, I probably wouldnt go through all that extra work, and I can promise you, mine cost alot more than $4.50/half gallon! But so does my rice dressing, my corn bread dressing, my deer meat tamales (THOSE take me so long to make, you would have to float a loan to buy a dozen from me!!!!) , all sentimental, traditional meals, learned from family as I grew up! The family is all from Abbyville, La....so I do all that lip smacking, finger licking good Cajun cooking/southern country cooking.......I have grandma's cookbook that has been passed down for 100 years at least! I am so sorry for this long, blown out, drawn out, rambling post....got caught up in precious memories....

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 01-04-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!