View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
"Custard" ice cream is also called "soft serve ice cream", like what comes out of the spiggot at Dairy Queen! I guess regular ice cream is just called ice cream! I love my ice cream maker....I just use my grandmother's recipe, which is a cooked ice cream, then you put it into the ice cream maker and add the ice and rock salt around the outside and plug 'er in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTeddykins View Post
Thanks so much for the explanation - I really had no clue what was meant by custard and the phrase does not sound appetizing when attached to ice cream! I am considering this recipe:

Cinnamon Ice Cream with Cinnamon Crisps Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network

BUT, I'm worried that I will scramble the eggs when it comes time to add them!

I, too, am tempted by bread and ice cream! I have used a bread machine for years and the only way I found to regulate the portions was to add the calories of all the ingredients and weigh the loaf so I could divide it in appropriate portion sizes. Otherwise, I would just rip a huge slab off, add butter and watch my years reduce!
Custard ice cream is not the same as soft serve. Custard ice cream you will see more commonly called frozen custard and is made with cream and eggs. Regular ice cream is made without eggs. Soft serve can be made with yogurt or cream and can have dairy or not, and can be fat free or not; some is more like ice milk, with shards of ice (like that Ice Dream crap at Chik Fil A), and then there are some that are much more creamy (like at McD's and Costco).

In order to not scramble the eggs, you have to temper them. Add a bit of the warm liquid to the eggs a bit at a time, then when the eggs have their temp up, then pour them into the mix.

Last edited by capt_noonie; 01-03-2015 at 06:52 PM.
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!