View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

I do agree, stay away. Many people here are painfully aware of what is being done to purebred dogs these days by people who know nothing about genetics and are in breeding strictly to make money.

Any time you go to the internet to look for a purebred your basic search is going to bring up puppy mills. Good, knowledgeable breeders do not have those fancy websites with gorgeous pictures and their sites do not come up in the first several hundred choices because they do not sell in the large numbers puppy mills do.

If you can't find anyone at the YTCA that can help you then go to your local AKC sanctioned dog club. They usually have a puppy contact person that will help you find reputable breeders. You still need to do your homework and check them out but they can at least get you pointed in the right direction.
American Kennel Club - Club Search and Directory

Do a search for a conformation club near you. You can try looking for a specialty club but they are harder to find in certain areas.

Just another word of warning: I do not recommend using the AKC classified ads. Anyone that has an AKC litter registration slip can use those ads including puppy mills. AKC is great for keeping track of a breeding dog's ancestry but they are not picky about who uses their service.

People who buy pups from puppy mills and other disreputable breeders run a high risk of getting a dog with health problems. That pup can end up costing you way more money than you intended to pay. Take your time and do your research. It is well worth your while. Many people go ahead and buy from puppy mills because they want a pup so badly but personally, I would not want my money helping any puppy mill owner to continue to torture dogs.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!