View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
danserusse
Yorkie Talker

Default Husband says only way to train Mosbey to come is to use a prong collar!?

Let me start by stating, I am no dog trainer. We do not own a prong collar and I am against using one on such a small dog. Mosbey is a year old, he is not obedient and he does not come when called, which can be dangrous for him as he likes to run out the door when people are coming and going, a behavior we would like to change.

When we purchased Mosbey, mu husband had stated he could train him, he has trained dogs before such as german Shephards and such for some German competition etc... I think that is great, except Mosbey still pees in a diaper and poops on the bathroom tile.

So, I am trying to tackle several undesireable behaviors, but I love Mosbey and I would never part with him, he is the ONLY dog I have ever owned that has gotten away with these behaviors. That being said, my husband is firm in the belief that he can not use positive reinforcement with Mosbey because if he won't come, he can't reward him. I have argued that they should never be used on such a small dog. He counters that he will place it on him behind his legs, I counter that it could cause injury, he has another excuse. So basically, he claims the dog is not trained because I won't "let" him train him, that prong collars are a tool, that I'm apparently out of my mind thinking that a yorkie can most certainly be trained without the use of a prong collar and finally, that if I would just trust him to do it his way, it would work. I stand firm that a prong collar not be used on my 4 pound dog, no matter what. If he can't train a dog without that toll then he must not be that great at it to begin with is my opinion, doesn't matter what he used to do because it isn't happening now, and I would think great dog trainers would have many tools they utilize for different dog personalities etc...

Obviously, this is a very heated topic for us and I am looking for some real advice on proven methods that work for a yorkies distinct stubborn characteristics. Thanks in advance.
danserusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!