View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
kreuer
YT 500 Club Member

Default after neuter behavior

This question is actually about my Shih Tzu..... He was just neutered 2 days ago and I put him in a soft cone to keep him from licking his sutures. He has 2 sets, one for the neuter and one for a fixed hernia. Anyway the day after I noticed that when I took the cone off to give him a little break from it or to eat he would start licking himself immediately, but he wasn't licking the sutures, he was licking his penis. When I moved his head away I could see the red sticking out. He would try to lick down there obsessively so I have to keep the cone on at all times. The vet tech called today to see how he was doing and I mentioned this to him, but he didn't seem concerned. I am worried about some type of infection down there. Also, I'm concerned because the first night when I got him from the crate he had managed to rip the collar off and his penis almost looked swollen, but later looked fine. I have no idea how long he had the collar off and had licked down there. That morning I went and bought a better collar that he can't get off. Am I just concerned about nothing or should I take him in to talk with the actual vet?
kreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!