View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
lakeerieprinces
Yorkie Talker

Default My 6 Month Old Yorkie Puppy HAS a BIRTH DEFECT

i AM GOING TO be brief and not cry all over my keyboard.Previously we had 3 shih tzu's. They lived out their lives of about 12 and 13 years each. They are on my mantle in an urn to be buried with us one day. I have had dogs all my life, & keep them forever.

We bought a Yorkie puppy in 8/2014. He was the one out of 5 who "chose me." At 4 weeks he walked by my leg and rolled over so submissive, so I knew he was my guy ! I visited him every week over the next 5 weeks and then brought him home.

Little Wilbur is the light of our lives. I put him in my purse and took him everywhere with me !

He is 6 months old now, 4#, and spunky, but started to walk "crooked ?" Our regular vet told us NOT to worry about it, just a couple of weeks ago ! My gut told me to get a 2nd opinion because it is so much worse. It looks like a huge growth or swollen area was on his left side.

Dr. Curie was my choice, as he has years of experience and has an excellent reputation. We spent about 1 hour there.He x rayed Wilbur, watched him walk, and physically examined him.

He sat down with us to show us the x rays and explained that Wilbur has a birth defect. His spine is VERY crooked, and the vertebrates are ALL fused together. His discs are hardened. The lump on his side is actually his severely curved spine. He consulted a canine neurologist and BOTH agreed that this is not fixable ! I broke down in tears. What a horrible diagnosis for this loving, little dog !

He offered options, and said his life would be short, due to this severe defect of his spine. He said that Wilbur COULD become paralyzed when he gets his next growth spurt,or he will one day be in terrible pain. I told him that HE chose me and I was going to take him home, play with him and love him as much as I can. I conveyed the diagnosis to the breeder, and got a very skeptical response. Wilbur's parents should not have any more puppies IMO. WHY cause any other person, such grief, even if it is rare ?

I, personally have not felt pain this intense since I had to bury my Mom. The other dogs were different over the years, I was busy, and not 100% focused on them. I am retired and focused solely on the joy of Wilbur ! I pray that I will get through this ordeal !
lakeerieprinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!