View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default My Ownership Rules - Mixing Large and Small Dogs

These rules have kept my Yorkie safe over more than a few large breed puppies

1. Never Allow and Always correct Bad behaviour on either dogs part. That means the Yorkie is not allowed to jump up into big dogs faces, and Big dogs do not get to Mouth any part of a Yorkie.

2. Never Allow a large dog and a small dog to *play* together. Not in the house, not outside. That means they do not chase toys together, they do not play tug of war together. They do not get to run freely together!

3. Nighttime - either the Yorkie is crated or the big dog is. When one is sleeping one can't supervise their interactions. And lots things can happen in the night. An unfamiliar sound and all of sudden their is mad barking and a rush to the door or the window what-ever. And the Yorkie gets trampled

4. Always supervise their interactions until they have earned the priviledge to be together. And btw that might never happen. If you have a dog with a high prey drive it is deadly easy for them to slip into it. Despite all your training of this dog it can happen in a flash.

5. Walk your large dog separately to your small dog. Or with your GF she has her labradoodle you have the Yorkie. And if trouble comes, immediately create a distance between the dogs. You go one way with your Yorkie, and leave the larger dog and owner to deal with the threat.

As a man that might go against your natural protective instinct for your GF. Then my suggestion is you walk the larger dog - she the Yorkie - so both can get out of harms way.

6. Feeding - Separate bowls and separate locations in the kitchen. Again never left un-attended until dinner is done!

7. Toys - for many reasons I do not leave toys out. Toys come out for a play session with me. Or if a chew toy, they have it when I give them it and they go into their crates to happily chew.

8. A famous Yorkie one - the Yorkie is in your lap and he growls at either the big dog or a human walking by. Immediately correct this behaviour. A firm No. and he is placed on the floor. He is resource guarding you! Not to be allowed and it is Not cute.

So these are my rules - they have worked for me.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!