View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Mike: One definition of *rare* is not easily found, has a very low population etc. Probably by that definition Parti Yorkies are rare. So this can be construed as a statement of fact.

And as fact, breeding a rare breed (which I do), you do incur a lot more expense to show train and find a breeding match. I am not sure where Parti Yorkies compete in the show ring - maybe UKC - I just don't know. The Parti breeders here can tell us where they show. But I find it reasonable to assume given the small pool they might incur more expense.

I have no idea if the additional expense justifies what-ever her selling prices are. In the same way I have no idea what *profit* breeders to the standard can make. Selling price does seem to be a function of market demand (or lack thereof).

Now having said all of the above; I will only support breeders who breed to the standard. I absolutely want to maintain the lovely blue n tan Yorkie for-ever.

It does seem pretty clear that Parti Colored Yorkies are Yorkies based on their DNA. And for me whilst I won't condemn those breeders who actually do do, the health testing and post the results for all to see, I actually can't support their choice to breed Partis.

It is the same in my breed the Black Russian Terrier. We occasionally have *off colored* dogs, and as far as I am aware, no breeder actually tries to breed these off colored dogs. And in this day n age they are not culled. Actually some of the *off colors* can be very pretty. But Black is the only acceptable color for the show ring, in the same way Blue and Tan is for the Yorkie.

The indiscrimate breeding of Yorkies is embarrassingly obvious. Yorkies who barely look like a Yorkie. Terrible coats, disposition/temperament, coloration, you name it. You have every BYBer trying to make a quick buck. Selling supposedly purebred YOrkies for $400 or $500 dollars. I can almost guarantee they do NOT do the health testing, and very obviously do not breed high quality dogs.

We as pure-breed dog breeders have a duty to uphold the standard that has been passed down to us in trust. If you don't like the Standard, don't breed that breed!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!