View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Karen welcome to YT. It sure sounds like you are doing everything the right way around.

Read some more here on for example *evaluating a puppy* it is in our library.

And whist others may say 4lbs is not small, quite frankly it is small. I have a 6.5# dog who is small but sturdy, and I would not advise a first time dog owner to have a smaller 4 pounder. I am not sure of your dog owning background but if you are used to medium to large sized dogs, 6-7 lbs will be very small in your minds eye.

Toy dogs come with a particular set of owner requirements, just like large breed dogs do, well in fact any purebred or mixed dog does.

I think I would advise you to write down, (yes write down), fully and in detail what it is you want from dog ownership - what your hopes n dreams are - the more detailed the better. Then see if first if the *Yorkie breed* fits that desire.

It does sound like you have the time and place to own a toy dog. What do you imagine your life will be like with this dog in it? You don't need to answer me, only yourself of course.

Truly understand if a Yorkie is what you want, know the Health Concerns of Yorkies - we do have articles in the library on this.

You want to do your best to source from a breeder that breeds for health, and does not only the *testing* to prove that, but understands the health lineage of who she is breeding to and from.

Finally understand that many of the health problems of Yorkies are very expensive to treat and seriously consider health insurance from the get - go. Whether you end up with a rescue or a re-home, or a young pup.

As you said you are retired, try to understand the on-going costs of owning a dog, (and particularly a Yorkie). And see if your fixed income can support the financial burden.

Regular food - not so many $$ a month - they as an adult might only need 1/2 cup per day.

Regular Vet Visits - what do they cost in your area? My office cost is $65 then what-ever I have done. Vaccinations blood work etc. So annual cost for a regular health dog - maybe $200-$300 a year.

First year or so - Spay and neuter surgery - plus a few vet visits to give them their shots - btw separate out the vaccinations for a Yorkie. See our library for immunization information

Dentals: Yorkies are notorious for bad teeth. First factor in the cost of brushing of their teeth, adding water additives, etc. Find out what a dental costs in your area. Maybe $100+ each year you do one.

Grooming - will you do it yourself or have it done? Like all dogs Yorkies need their nails clipped, their coat trimmed, their ears cleaned.

Clothing : - dependent upon where you live, you might need a winter sweater, some dog booties, and maybe a rain-coat. Everything else is just optional.

Pet Insurance - either buy it, or self finance it. Check out your options and the $$ involved.

That's it for now. Good luck with your search
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!