View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
There have been outbreaks of distemper and more parvo, so I'm going to have Max (age 6) and Teddy (will be 6 in June) vaccinated for them one more time.

Our vet insists on either the vaccination or the titer. I have read other articles that challenge the usefulness of titers, so I was not excited about paying for something that isn't more reliable.
I have been debating on whether or not to just get Jackson one more of the distemper/parvo as well. He is 6 now, last ones were at 1 year old, so it would be on the technical 5 year schedule some hospitals are slowly moving to. I'm not overly concerned in any way - he's in public places all the time, exposed to other dogs, etc, and is/has been fine. But I know as he gets older, I'm *definitely* not going to want to do them again, so maybe getting them one more time could simply keep me somewhat... with a peace of mind? Because I know if I decide to get them one more time, he'll never get them again, for the rest of his life. And I know one round of DP isn't going to harm him, either. But I don't know, I just find them somewhat redundant. I don't really see parvo or distemper being an issue in my adult vaccinated dog and think the odds are pretty slim. But like I said vaccinating one more time in his hopefully 8-10 more years of life isn't going to 'hurt' him either... so it's going to end up being a 'eh, might as well' type thing if I get him one more boost.

Quote:
Parvovirus vaccination probably lasts for life if good immunity is ever achieved. In most dogs, a single injection of a modified live parvovirus vaccine given after twelve weeks of age (new high titer vaccines) or sixteen weeks of age (older vaccines) will confer immunity. The one year booster shot should strongly bolster this and if a puppy didn't respond properly to the puppy vaccinations for some reason (like having a heavy parasite load or another viral illness) the one year vaccination should provide good immunity. This means that a dog that has had the puppy series and/or any boosters of that series should have good immunity unless its immune system just doesn't respond properly.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!