View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
sullific
Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 049 "Resource Guarding"

I was reading up on overprotective dogs and it says they are guarding their resource (you, the person who gives them everything good for free). Evidently it's a hallmark of "undisciplined, spoiled" dogs, adjectives to which Yorkies are prone because of their innate CUTENESS!

That would make sense (although it's my husband who gives him too many treats - he starts barking the minute Michael comes home because he knows he will just toss one on the floor, whereas I will make him sit, wait, raise a paw, etc.) - and maybe it's my husband whom he sees as the resource now
(although I do all the feeding, grooming, petting, walking, etc.).

Odd, because if he has a choice he will always go with me. If we are in different rooms he follows me. No matter how comfy he is wherever my husband is if I leave that room and he realizes I am not returning, I hear the little "plop" from the perch and the "tick-tick-tick" of the footprints coming to be with me. For a while I thought he was just jealous of both of us and wanted to get in on the action (he would push his face between ours if he was in a position to, say on the back of the sofa when we were on it) but as I said, now I think he is perhaps wanting my husband to give him the attention instead of giving it to me.

Amazes me how some scientists still insist that dogs do not have emotions and that this is all instinctive. New book, "Dog Sense", talks about how recent studies have shown that dogs do have emotions, and jealousy is one of them. Something we puppy people have known forever!
sullific is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!