View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
yavenay
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiLuv View Post
Puppy mill rescues are kept in crates their whole lives. I usually recommend people use baby gates in kitches or bathrooms and potty pads. A puppy mill rescue won't know not to use the crate as a bathroom. You can get a crate as a source of familiarity and comfort for the transition but I would leave the door open. Thank you for rescuing, there is lots of information about how to socialize and potty train these guys, good luck!
Definitely agree with this statement. My last yorkie was a rescue from a backyard breeder. As a result she spent most of her time in the crate. When I got her, (because of lack of knowledge) I would put Brandi in her crate while I would run errands. Big mistake....I would come home to a mess. I was giving her a bath and cleaning the crate almost every day

She was so used to potting in her crate, it didn't bother her. Finally I worked with her until she was fully potty trained. And while she was in training, I got a huge expen which helped a lot. Once she was potty trained, I gave her run of the entire house and she never ever went into a crate or ex-pen again unless we were at someone else's house and it was for safety reasons.

I would go with a nice size expen or huge crate that' has enough room so that he won't step in his poop. I would come home and Brandi would be literally sleeping in her poo. But I understood she was like that because of her background. And I would just clean it up. I never once scolded her. I only gave her praise when she potty in the right place.
yavenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!