View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Cha View Post
Mylee hasn't been back to the vet in 2 months, so the vet smell is irrelevant here, but I do understand how smells can be an issue. It's more that her personality since her illness has changed. Her appearance is weak and fragile and petite but she's a feisty little thing. So I think I can conclude that the attacks are happening because Moka sees Mylee as weak, and this is her opportunity to move up a spot in the pack. I always thought that if there was a more dominant one it was Moka. Has Mylee had me fooled all this time? Could Mylee be my more dominant one thus causing the friction? I read that to fix the problem you have to know who is dominant and I just don't know. I read an article I will post when I get back to work in a little while that I think defines our issue. I just don't know how to fix it.

Thanks for the replies.
Mylee probably attacked that one time because she had been attacked a few times and offense is often considered the best defense by a weaker-feeling dog. This is why some dogs become fierce little things - unremitting anticipation or fear of attack by another dog. And Moka probably is just acting on instinct, trying to become pack leader or alpha dog now that the other dog is acting insecure or weak - typical dog behavior. Dogs are strictly hierarchical creatures - it's part and parcel of their canine society and they are most comfortable when there are clearly defined roles for each dog or a nice co-alpha role where there are a male/female alpha-dog leadership combo. Two females or two males rarely adapt to co-alpha roles - one usually assumes a more dominant role and the other goes along, quite happily, if the dominant one is really smart and strong - a true leader. So-so leaders sit shakily on their throne with their lesser pack members.

Research your dogs' situations. Google search for the subject of stronger dogs attacking weaker dogs. Read all you can, learn and find out the various ways to deal with this situation. There will be many and you can use the way that works best for you and your dogs.

Here is what I would you if this were my dogs:

For the time being, keep them separated while you train the one doing most of the attacking in fun, short but frequent obedience lessons, leave it and other fun commands, giving lots of positive reinforcement for getting it right. To give your little former-patient more self-confidence, she could use some things that make her feel self-confident, proud of herself for achieving something and a course in obedience training would benefit her as well. Dogs are so proud of themselves when they learn to do something new and find out we are happy with them for doing it!

Then, once both of them are better trained to obey your commands, you can allow them time in the same room with one in the crate as you funnel treats and toys into her and the other outside waiting for her "fun" turn in the crate, switch them out and in time, allow them time outside together, perhaps with the aggressor on the lead the first time or two, with you while you are watching them very closely for body language and giving commands if one gives the other a glare or "look" or assumes a very still or threatening position - that's your cue to step in, stop bad behavior and redirect their reactions, end the session for the time being until they slowly get back to acceptable behavior together. It could take up to 6 months to correct and retrain them both but putting time into your dogs is well worth it and so much fun for all of you.

Fun, rewarding obedience training is one of human's best tools for correcting all types of bad behavior and insecurities in dogs. Few believe this until they've tried it and see the magical results.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!