View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
swan
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi Mike 1975,

Wow, I just went back through again and re-read everything. There is so much to talk about I don't even know where to start.

First, because I am curious to learn your opinion. What is your thesis? From the reading I looked at it appears that a compelling case can be made that the Yorkshire Terrier was really developed with an interest in creating prize winning dogs. That they could be sold to the upper class of England in order to make ends meet. Its seems like these dogs offered the original breeders in Yorkshire a chance at social mobility. People were willing to pay top dollar for these dogs.

It is clear that they do possess the ability to catch rats, even now, and they are certainly distant descendants of ratters. However you make some very well sourced points about how the breed was not only bred to show but actually attracted more people to show's and may have lead to the popularity of showing dogs for sport. This completely blew me away. It seems, through well cited historical data, that people immediately fell in love with the breed from the very beginning and that fascination attracted more people to Dog Shows.

This quote from "The dogs of the British Isles" I found very interesting. "It would be much better to divide them by weight, and classify them as large and small Yorkshire terriers."

Given the discussions between exhibitors and breeders today I found that quote to be quite illuminating. It appears we have always had size differences in the breed and some have wondered if they should be judged separately. Reading through the books it was clear to me that even at the very beginning size and weight were a big deal for breeders and exhibitors.

I would love for the YTCA to read this thread.

Mike 1975 I think you could write a book. A book that would be valuable to our understanding of the breed. Tremendous work Mike. I share your fascination with the breed, and I love learning anything I possibly can about Yorkies.

I would love to team up with you and create a documentary film. There is enough information to cover and I think people would want to see it.
swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!