View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
shyorkies
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Post Ls

I honestly have been through the experience of a LS puppy.. A few years ago I purchased a finished UKC Champion male and a female from the same breeder.. They had similiar lines to one another also.. I bred the two of them together and she whelped one female and one male.. Before the puppies were born I let the previous owner take back the male, he did not get along with my other dogs and the longer he was in my home the worst it got.. When they first came to my home I had both of them tested, acid bile levels, full blood panels and x-rays.. They both tested out perfect on all accounts! I ended up placing the male puppy at about 16 weeks old into a pet home.. He was on the small side, but never showed one health issue that would of made me question his health.. I did keep the female back and later placed her into a pet home also.. When the male turned 7 months old I received a telephone call from the owners to inform me the male was sick and their vet had just ran some test on him that day.. They went on to tell me his acid bile level was over 300!! I could NOT believe it! I could of fallen on the floor and cried! But parents past all the test my vet had given them! The little male was taken to a animal hospital in Louisville and they found one external shunt on him and fixed it at that time.. I can honestly say that he is a normal healthy dog now and I am so grateful to the man above for that!! Through this time I also tested his littermate and she tested fine, but I did spay her and placed her into a nearby pet home and I also spay the dam and placed her into a pet home.. I also refunded the owners price for the puppy and also paid for 1/2 of the surgery and vet bill for the LS issue.. They were very nice through the whole ordeal and have always been kind to me!

I had talked to Terri Shumsky through this who ordeal.. She was very helpful and truly helped me from going crazy.. I had blamed myself for this and had a very difficult time coping with it! Terri shared her experiences with LS with me which truly helped! She told me the only way I could find out who threw the liver shunt was to breed the father to the daughter and the mother to the son.. She stated that whichever one threw the liver shunt would throw it again in this litter with it being so tightly inbred.. Needless to say I told her I would NEVER do those two breeding! So I truly never found out which one was throwing the LS.. I can also tell you that Terri stated the lines the dam and sire came from were not liver shunt throwers.. I had the mama spay, but the father I let go back to the previous owner before the litter was even born.. I can honestly tell you that I just recently found out that she NEVER had the father neutered and is using him in her breeding program! I about died when I found this out!

I can honestly tell you when I found out about the LS male puppy I had placed that was a very dark time and I felt so guilty.. I would cry and cry.. To think that I had put this wonderful family through this very sad ordeal.. I at that time only tested my breeders acid bile levels and not my puppies, but I can tell you now nothing leaves my home without their acid bile levels being tested! I can also tell you that it NEVER crossed my mind to breed the mother again.. To me the only option was to spay the mother and I wish I had kept the father, he would have been neutered!

I apologize for this being a long post! But I can also say if it could happen to me it could happen to anybody..
shyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!