View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Let me first address what I think the vet should exam on an annual check up.

1. Examine, eyes, ears, teeth for: Clarity (eyes), discharge, etc. Teeth for bite, and tartar build up. Ears for smell, red areas, clear ear canal, etc. And fusty smell is not normal for ears. - re: ears - didn't think it was normal but unsure to what extent it could be due to hair in the ears, therefore, improper drying after bathing or improper washing or yeast infection, for example. His ears do not smell "cheesy" and I have read on here that is the primary symptom of yeast infections in the ear but I would not think that would be the only way a symptom presents itself so worried that it could still be yeast... do you have experience regarding this? my parents dog suffers chronically from yeast infection in the ear but they do say his ears are "cheesy" and he itches them constantly which is the same in Teddy's case hence the reason I have not taken him in for this issue in isolation

2. Heart listen to all heart sounds - left side and right side.

3. All joints palpated and moved through range of motion. Front legs, ankles, elbows, shoulder. Back legs, stifle joint, knees, hips. Spine. Observe normal walking gait of the dog. And I would ask if my dog is clear of LP or if not, what grade does the vet assess the LP at. - thank you, I would have not thought to ask about this!!

4. Exam testicles, inner groins, abdomen. /this is to detect for one thing lumps or bumps, the skin, and any incipient hernias.

The vet should also ask you general questions about your dogs health. Diarrehea, constipation, nauses/vomiting altered gait even if only transient. Appetite, his daily exercise, etc.

Question about required shots in England, is pavro the only one?
parvo is not the only shot but the only booster - however, I had a phone discussion with my vet last week who also recommends a yearly vaccination against Leptospirosis

Your tear production is an interesting question, why are you concerned about this? Are you getting staining at the inner eye corners, or lots of encrustration build up around the eyes? I do have to clean Teddy's eyes every day. I do not allow for the build up to become crusty but what is cleaned away is wet and very dark brown. Again, I have read here and elsewhere that a red color denotes a yeast infection whereas brown could be dietary. What do you think?

For the anxiety; what creates it, how often does your dog respond in an anxious way, what are his responses that you denote and associate as anxiety. There are more than a few behaviour modification techniques that can be tried, prior to using meds to control anxiety. Teddy has a long history with anxiety. He is anxious when I leave, he pants uncontrollably in car rides and "chirps" randomly during walks. During all these situations, he sweats profusely on either side of his muzzle. Apart from me leaving (where he pants, paces and pees on the front door) he does not display anxiety before a walk or before a car ride. He is eager for both activities. I do not excite him before either activity and allow him to go on his walks and in the car only when he demonstrates a calm demeanour in the home. I have had a behaviorist (I believe you commented on that thread for me - thanks again x) but have not found any of the techniques useful and have found some damaging. Being in the mental health profession, I support a biopscychosocial approach to addressing mental health (even in pets!) but do recognize that medicine (when used correctly and temporarily) can assist with the focus of behavioral training, thus, change. What do you think?

For me at about one year old, I do a full baseline blood panel. If BATS have not been done I would request that to be done as well. You might need a second appointment to set up to do BATS. Discuss this with your vet ahead of time. ( I am assuming you know what Bile Acid Test is for). Assume this is as a result of the incidence of Liver Shunt in the breed - again, thank you for this as I would not have thought to ask!

That is all that I can think of for now.

Gemy,

Thanks for your comprehensive and prompt reply.

I have responded above in red.

You are a star.
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!