View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Let me first address what I think the vet should exam on an annual check up.

1. Examine, eyes, ears, teeth for: Clarity (eyes), discharge, etc. Teeth for bite, and tartar build up. Ears for smell, red areas, clear ear canal, etc. And fusty smell is not normal for ears.

2. Heart listen to all heart sounds - left side and right side.

3. All joints palpated and moved through range of motion. Front legs, ankles, elbows, shoulder. Back legs, stifle joint, knees, hips. Spine. Observe normal walking gait of the dog. And I would ask if my dog is clear of LP or if not, what grade does the vet assess the LP at.

4. Exam testicles, inner groins, abdomen. /this is to detect for one thing lumps or bumps, the skin, and any incipient hernias.

The vet should also ask you general questions about your dogs health. Diarrehea, constipation, nauses/vomiting altered gait even if only transient. Appetite, his daily exercise, etc.

Question about required shots in England, is pavro the only one?

Your tear production is an interesting question, why are you concerned about this? Are you getting staining at the inner eye corners, or lots of encrustration build up around the eyes?

For the anxiety; what creates it, how often does your dog respond in an anxious way, what are his responses that you denote and associate as anxiety. There are more than a few behaviour modification techniques that can be tried, prior to using meds to control anxiety.

For me at about one year old, I do a full baseline blood panel. If BATS have not been done I would request that to be done as well. You might need a second appointment to set up to do BATS. Discuss this with your vet ahead of time. ( I am assuming you know what Bile Acid Test is for).

That is all that I can think of for now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!