View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
KazzyK810
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I think it comes down to the genetics of the hair. ZoE's hair doesn't really tangle. Certainly nothing that takes more than a few seconds to brush through. Her hair is silky, but very very slow growing and seemed to break easily no matter how much I conditioned it. I grew her coat for three years and it only got to be 3/4 length. My preference is for a full floor length coat, but I just didn't see it happening. So finally, this past summer I shaved it off for the first time. Now there is nothing to tangle, but the kicker... Zo doesn't like to wear clothes. She'll tolerate a hoodie or coat to go outside in the cold, but she wants it off as soon as she's back inside.

My last yorkie, Chelsea, had a super fast growing coat. Her coat was silky too, but much thicker and stronger than ZoE's. For most of her life I kept her in a long coat and trimmed it about 1/2 inch off the floor. All that hair would tangle in sweaters, but Chelsea liked wearing sweaters (she would bring one to me from her sweater bin...sooo cute!) my aunt gave me a pair of silk doggie pjs she bought on a trip to Singapore. While I hardly ever used them as a set, I put the silk shirt underneath the sweaters in the winter. It made her hair messy, but it didn't tangle and was easy to comb out.

So basically the dog I have with no hair doesn't like clothes and the one I had with long hair did like clothes. They can be such contrary personalities!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!