View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Snow Yorkies
Biewer Passionate
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose
If you are talking about standard color Yorkies..it goes back to several lines. You are wise not to breed a sire and dam with these dogs in common. Outcrossing these lines seems to work fine. Testing parents who are clear of shunts means nothing in regards to a line that has other members who have produced shunts. LS is not a dominant gene so having parents with healthy livers does not mean they will not produce a pup with a shunt. It can skip many generations according to LS reaeachers.

If I had a set of parents produce a shunt puppy, I would never breed them together again...but I would breed them to others. If it repeated, then I would spay/neuter them.
I would not breed a male or female who had a LS full sibling.

Researchers think it is unlikely the blame of one parent...it seems to show up with a common ancester/ancestors.
Thank you Pat. I have been reading information on this and I am only assuming that both parents have been tested for liver shunt I haven't seen the test results for myself. But I wanted to know what the equation would be if they were not if they weren't.

This is such a terrible disease I just want to know as much as possible and the factors in what is considered proper.

Help me here I want to know that I understand this correctly. It could be the DNA make up then on this breeding pair that could have been the developing factor of liver shunt for these said puppies?

As always you come to our rescue when we need good information. Again, thank you so much...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!