View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I'm not a vet but I'm not convinced that this is dementia. Any 14 yo dog mapping out a new home, sleeping well, eating and drinking fine and not getting stuck in corners sounds just fine! I am suspect of the pee accidents and would insist that someone culture the urine. If it is clear, I would run a urine protein creatinine ratio because a 14 yo probably is having some normal age related kidney issues. I would get a second opinion from a fresh set of eyes. Speaking of eyes, many older dogs have trouble seeing at night. This could be nuclear sclerosis which is that hazy look we seen in older dogs. It's classic for worse night vision or dim lighting. It's not cataracts and they don't treat them unless it's very severe.

I have two 14 yo Yorkies and I've seen infections cause very bizarre things, as well as medications cause problems. I think a thorough investigation is in order and I would start as I said with bladder and/or kidneys.
I totally agree. The wall walking and corner standing is typical of dementia but that is not present in your little guy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!