Thread: New puppy
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Teddy never settled down being away from me at night no matter that he was never ONCE in my room and I never ONCE slept with him.

He was kept in a huge x-pen type cage with his crate and pads inside in the kitchen. He was 12 weeks when I brought him home and I could not stand how much he cried all the way until he was 8 months old! Now, he just sleeps at the end of my bed on a rug and I leave his crate downstairs. This way, he doesn't feel forced in or out and this seems to have made him happier. He turned 1 year last month.

I think, for some dogs, they just do not want to be away from the owner at night and you have to make a decision. I think consistency is key, though. Otherwise, you will confuse the dog about your expectations.

8 wks is very small so I would probably continue to leave the puppy where you'd prefer for it to sleep and hang on for at least four more weeks before considering changing things up.

Especially since you've only had the puppy for less than a week...it seems to me too early to be changing things around when the puppy has just been taken from the litter. I know that it sucks to get no sleep but, alas, that is puppyhood!
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!