Thread: New puppy
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
hu_man
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New puppy

Hi all!
I'm new here so please bare with me. I have a 8 week old puppy that we just got on Wednesday afternoon and we are having a really hard time sleeping, as in he will cry all night on and off.
First of all he is not our first puppy, we have another Yorkie female (Luna) that's 1 year old that we got when she was also 8 weeks old.
Now the problem is Luna did cry when we first put her to bed but she would calm down soon after and sleep all night but wake us up super early to potty. He (Rory) however will not sleep at all.
We have tried a few things. First night wasn't so bad, he slept by himself in our secondary bathroom that's in the same floor as our master bedroom and that's where Luna normally sleeps. The first night he woke up really early but then settled down. Second night we tried putting Rory and Luna in the same room but separated by a gate (they get a long pretty well) . We thought this might help since he'll have some company but it didn't. It was past midnight and he had been crying for over two hours, since it was a weekday we did something we shouldn't have but we grabbed him and put him in bed with us. I know bad but we needed our sleep since we had work in the morning. He slept fine then obviously. The following night we tried leaving him with Luna again but with no barrier. The night started out well, he was fairly quite at first but soon he started crying and barking and didn't shut up at all. At 4ish am we gave up and just got up since clearly we weren't going to get more sleep. I thought him having company would help but it didn't, I don't understand why. We do not want him to be sleeping in our bed or bedroom so we don't want him to expect that he can be with us 24/7. Anyway tonight we tried again in the room by himself. We put him in his bed asleep. So it was nice and quite for about an hour. And now he's been up and crying up a storm for half an hour. I'm afraid it's only past midnight and I'm probably done all the sleep I'll be getting tonight.

Please help!
I'm not sure what to do! I know all the tricks like warm bottles and clocks and radios but since having another dog with him for company didn't help at all I'm not sure any of that will do much either.
hu_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!