View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Jellybaby
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Hello, welcome to YT!

Oh, I'm glad you're getting the vet to check him again just in case his knees are bothering him or he has pain anywhere else such as his back.
Could I ask......was your yorkie used to being walked a lot in his former home? If not, then he could find it very tiring.

If he gets the all clear from the vet then I think it might be a good idea, for the time being at least, to cut back on the distance he walks each day.....build up gradually to longer walks. 2 x 40 minute walks plus a 30 minute walk each day does seem like a lot, if he's never walked such distances in the past. Maybe you'll find that he's perfectly happy with fewer/shorter walks.

The leash situation in the UK is similar to Ireland I think, in that there are many places that dogs are allowed to run around off leash. Please be careful of your little guy around large dogs as fragile little dogs such as yorkies can easily be killed by larger ones. My yorkie Pebbles was attacked by a husky/greyhound mix when she was a puppy, it came up from behind us so I never saw it until it pounced on her, I'll never forget her screams I've had to protect her from a number of large, off leash dogs since then, I wish people wouldn't let their large dogs run up to smaller ones and harass them

Has it turned cold yet where you live? In the past few weeks it's turned cold and rainy here on the west cold of Ireland so Pebbles now wears her fleece lined, waterproof coat on walks, otherwise she'd shiver from the cold. Yorkies can really feel the cold since they don't have an undercoat. Pebbles doesn't mind being out in the rain so long as she has her coat to keep her warm and cosy but I know some dogs hate the rain.

I'm really glad your yorkie has both you and your husband as his 'parents' now . He's probably a bit confused if he's been passed around various homes so it will take a while for him to settle in and realise he's in his permanent home. I think replacing one of his walks with games, like Wylie's Mom suggested, is a great idea

Best of luck with your little guy (what's his name?!), yorkies are such lovable, snuggly, loyal, mischievous little creatures.....your life won't be the same again
Jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!