View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
NickNack
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Am I Over Walking my Yorkie?

Hello. We recently rehomed a 4 year old male Yorkshire Terrier. We were told he was used to being left in the day, which was good because we work. Since we got him four weeks ago we have walked him in the morning for around 30 minutes, then a dog walker comes in during the day and walks him for around 40 minutes and I walk him on the evening for 40 minutes.
At first he was keen but now he quite often doesn't want to go. My husband gave up this morning as he went to the toilet on our front garden and then refused to walk. My dog walker has had to carry him a few times to get him started too! Yesterday evening he came to a complete standstill fifteen minutes into his walk and had to be carried for ten minutes before he would oblige again!
Could this be because we are over-walking him? I've never had a small dog before so are we overdoing it? He seems quite happy to be left in the day and spends it sleeping. As soon as the dog walker brings him home from his walk, he doesn't hang around for her company but runs back to his bed. I'm wondering that he is actually used to being left all day. My husband thinks we should drop the mid day walk and see how he is if he is left all day. Paying for a dog walker to drag him out seems a bit mad if he's not happy with the plan!
Its worth saying that we live in the UK so the weather isn't great at the moment but this did start before the weather turned very cold. I tried a jacket but he hated it!
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks x
NickNack is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!