View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #123
magicgenie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Re-reading this thread this morning I'm finding myself feeling somewhat ashamed to have caved in so many times to the requirements of a "standard" that calls for cutting off part of a puppy's tail for cosmetic reasons. I do not believe that cutting off dew claws is called for in the standard for the Yorkshire Terrier, but it is expected, so I've been taking those off as well though I see no significant reason to.
Though I don't find the cutting cruel to the level of torture, I dislike doing it. The puppies are upset to be taken away from their mom. The mom is upset to see me take her baby away. The puppies always vocalize when the tail is clamped. I always tell the babies that I'm sorry to hurt them with this barbaric little American custom.
Ideally, the standard and expectations will be changed to allow some flexibility for personal preference and this, over time, will lead to a phasing out of an unnecessary practice. More than likely the matter will be taken up legislatively, and I am sorry it will come to that.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!