View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Scoobstersmom
YT Addict

My yorkie survived kidney disease for 26 months. In the end, it was the arthritis and old age (16) that forced us to make the decision. He got daily sub q fluids for 16 of those 26 months. With the fluids, we were able to push his creatinine back down to around 2 and hold it there. It was 1.9 at his last labs before we let him go.

A couple of tips for the sub q fluids. Ditch the monoject harpoon needles that the vet passes out and order some Terumo ultra thin walled needles (we used 21 gauge) from thrivingpets.com. They are tiny and sharp and my lil guy never even flinched from them going in. They're cheap. Use a fresh needle with every stick to make sure the needle is sharp. I always warmed a big fluffy towel in the dryer and cuddled him in it for fluid time, and I always warmed the fluids to body temperature in a big pan of water. Don't get the insertion point of the tubing wet to prevent contamination. I put the whole bag of fluids in a big Ziploc baggie and floated it in a pan of hot water for about 10-15 minutes right before we did the fluids. And find an extra special treat that your baby likes to munch on while you're doing the fluids. We were able to get 100 ml of fluids into our little guy in about three minutes so a few apple slices kept him busy.

That phosphorous is very high and you really need to get that down quickly. It is likely what is affecting appetite. Make sure you always give the aluminum hydroxide with food. And it goes without saying that I'm sure you're feeding low phosphorous foods. Its important to keep your baby eating. Not eating quickly raises phosphorous, so even if you have to syringe feed for now, it is preferable to syringe feed and give the AH, than not eat.

Good luck. Kidney disease is not for the feint of heart, but it can be managed. Sending good thoughts for your baby.

Diana
Scoobstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!