View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #37
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
I think we're very similar in what we used to allow and what we allow now. You have to go with your informed instinct, and I think your example showed that you did that very well. I've had some bad experiences, and I now try to plan for the worst-case scenario based on my experience. Jackson is the machoest Yorkie I know, and I have no doubt he can defend himself against any 25-pound dog. But larger dogs are everywhere. And a large dog has a huge advantage in a fight. That's why heavyweight human fighters aren't allowed to fight lightweights.

I love that this poll has gotten so many votes. Thanks to all who have weighed in. If nothing else, it shows YTers are thinking about it.
Yep! I, too, we have pretty similar ways of raising/owning dogs. I really think Jackson would love to live with you guys and Eddie and Jillie (if I was there too, LOL )

Another thing I've somewhat changed on is on and off leash privileges. He's not unreliable and also not a bolter, but he also doesn't have that natural tendency to 'check in' like I see a lot of herding dogs do. I don't mind him off leash in certain environments (ex, certain beaches and parks around here w/ nothing around), but usually I just prefer a long line for peace of mind. I also can usually take leash off for photo ops or let leash drag in certain type environments and trust him.

But again, as a pup, or when he was under 1 year old, I look back and can't believe what I used to do. I used to just let him outside, off leash, and I would stay in the house (while it was dark outside mind you!) with the 90 acres of unfenced farmland behind us. My step-dad convinced me of it because that's how their dog was, and I am so thankful nothing bad ever happened and thankful I quickly realized that was not something I was comfortable with. I can't believe I used to do that, even if only for a very brief period of time. Live and learn.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!