View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Finally telling us!!

I'm almost hesitant to post this for fear that she'll make me a liar but.... Tatum (just turned 2 years old) is finally letting us know when she needs to go out to potty!! When we got her as a baby, we lived at my mother-in-law's because we were building a house. As hard as we tried to housebreak, she would have her occasional accidents - but always on the rug by the back door. I figured it was because she went back there to go out and just sat waiting for someone to notice. When we didn't see her, she would just go on the rug. The house is set up so that you can't see that area from the rest of the house. She's never had a problem letting us know she wants to come in - just one sharp high-pitched bark. Why, oh why couldn't she do that to go out too??

Well, we finally moved into our new house (this past June) and paid really close attention to her signals but basically we had just trained ourselves to take her out at certain intervals. We even tried the pet doorbell thing where you train them to step on this thing that "woofs" or chimes. I don't think we tried hard enough with that one though and it never caught on. All of a sudden, for about 2 weeks now, we've noticed that she'll go sit at the door and do that "talking" thing that we all know well. Not a bark but not a whine. Just a "hmm-hmm" kind of thing. Know what I mean? It's the same sound she does when she wants up on our laps if we're sitting at the computer or the table. The first time my husband and I both were sitting at the table and heard her do that, we thought she wanted up on someone's lap but when we looked down, she wasn't there. Looked around and she was sitting at the door! She's been real consistent with that and we're praying it continues! A bark would be nicer so we could hear her from further away but maybe that will come next.

We're just so excited! Guess she just wanted to do it in her own sweet time!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!