View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #36
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I thought I would add to this thread, I realized I have become more protective when on Halloween night, while walking my little sister and cousin around trick-or-treating and a loose little dog (<20lbs) came darting out of the fence (I was out in the street while kids were at their door) right towards Jackson. Very briefly, I allowed the 2 dogs to interact, but I wasn't 100% comfortable with the other dogs body language, and decided to 'helicopter' Jackson up into my arms by his harness. I didn't really even wait to see the dog's intentions, I just felt the need to diffuse a possible situation.

My mom looked at me like I was crazy: "That dog didn't even do anything!" but the reason I think I was so quick to yank Jackson up into my arms was from past experiences. I've had at least 10 incidents where I thought the dog was going to be friendly and nice and then quickly changed it's attitude and tries to start a fight. Jackson WILL defend himself if need be (but has never started anything and is very polite in public with other dogs), and I guess it just wasn't something I felt like dealing with. For about 30 seconds after I continued walking, the dog is following me out in the middle of the street and the owner couldn't get him back. He apologized and I just blamed it on my own dog "oh, he can be questionable with other dogs. I didn't want your dog to get hurt".

The last time I saw a little dog charge out of a neighbors house as I was standing in my friends front yard with Jackson on leash, I ended up on the ground because the other dog full-on attacked Jackson (for literally NO reason) and I had to separate them.

In earlier times, I might have ignored the other dog, and even let it approach or let the 2 interact. I used to be very lenient about who I let Jackson meet, on leash and off. But there's just been past incidents that, yes, they do make me slightly nervous to just... allow or put my trust in another dog that I don't know from Adam. I mean, I used to bring Jackson over on the big dog side of the dog park ALL the time and not even think twice about it. Now after seeing too many incidents between big dogs, I can't imagine what would happen to my little 18lb'er (and that's big compared to a lot of other Yorkies) if a dog decided they didn't like him.

I think we're very similar in what we used to allow and what we allow now. You have to go with your informed instinct, and I think your example showed that you did that very well. I've had some bad experiences, and I now try to plan for the worst-case scenario based on my experience. Jackson is the machoest Yorkie I know, and I have no doubt he can defend himself against any 25-pound dog. But larger dogs are everywhere. And a large dog has a huge advantage in a fight. That's why heavyweight human fighters aren't allowed to fight lightweights.

I love that this poll has gotten so many votes. Thanks to all who have weighed in. If nothing else, it shows YTers are thinking about it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!