View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
thelittleyorkie
YT Young Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeysHumanMom View Post
Hi, All. I am fairly new to this group and am a brand new Yorkie owner. We got Zoey when she was 4 months old. She is now 6 months old. Ever since we got her, she has been scared of everything! She's scared of people, other dogs, riding in the car, the vaccum--many things. Today she started being afraid of the garbage can when she realized the top was closing by itself. She runs behind me and hides. If I pick her up and walk toward what she's afraid of, she claws like crazy to try to get away. When she's scared, she shakes all over.

It makes me feel so bad for her. It affects the quality of her life because she is so scared of things she should be enjoying.

What can I do to help her be not so scared? I would love it if she got excited about going in the car or playing with other dogs. I will much appreciate any suggestions anyone has!
With the vacuum, first try introducing her to the vacuum. Lure her towards the vacuum with treats and when she starts sniffing it and "checking it out", praise her heavily! Do this several times a day. Then keep her in one room while turning on the vacuum in another room. Hold her and make her feel safe, and give her treats. Praise heavily. Then try doing it with the door open. Next, slowly move the vacuum closer and closer to the open door, and then, into the room itself.

It will be long process, but it will all be worth it!

Make these games "fun", with praise and treats.

At four months of age, your pup might have experienced a "fear stage". Since she is now at the "adolescent" stage, it is necessary to introduce her to as many new things as possible.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!