View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
thelittleyorkie
YT Young Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtcourt47 View Post
I recently got a puppy who was only 4 weeks old (you can read his story under the nursery forum "looking for support") he is really doing well on potty training already and has been going on the pee pad most of the time. What is a good age to really start training him and getting after him when he does not go on the pad? I would like to eventually elimate the pad and only go potty outdoors but he is still to young to be take outside at least until he has been fully immunized (do you agree?)
Thanks!
I wouldn't expect much now because he is still 4 weeks (still a baby), so I believe that teaching him to pee on the pad (for now) is good to do. Also, enforce good behavior and praise heavily whenever he goes on the pad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "getting after him when he does not go on the pad". The only thing that you can do is catch him next time and place him on the pad--punishment, like scolding or hitting after the incident, doesn't work. If you catch him "in the act" going in the wrong place, then say a sharp "NO!" to startle him out of "the act" and put him on the potty pad. Also, you might want to consider putting the potty pad in a litter box, or some kind of tray...it might teach him from messing up the puppy pads for your rugs/mats in the future.

When he turns 16 weeks (when he's fully vaccinated), then you can transition him from the pad to outdoors. He should be pretty used to it by then (from your original post, it looks like he is doing very well with pee pad training so far, and he's only 4 weeks old!). Then you can do the traditional take-out-every-couple-of-hours method, where you take him out every couple of hours and place him in a designated potty place to do his business. If you would like to, you can attach a bell to the door and ring it whenever you take him out, to get him used to the sound. Perhaps you could rub one of his old, used puppy pads into the designated potty place in the grass to get some of the scent in so he can pee on it?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!